picture

picture

September 7, 2012

Thrifting in China

Looks like a construction site, right? Yeah, well it is. K and I took
the bus for about an hour and a half to get to this...construction site?
Ha, thank goodness no,
this was just what the first 2 floors of the building looked like. 

Ok, this is more like it. Basically the entire 3rd and 4th floors of this large building
were row after row of this. Here a man reads while his wife sews to pass the time. 

Some stalls were really organized, others, not so much. You may be wondering,
how on earth tiny, Chinese shoes fit my large, size 9 American foot? They didn't ; )

Here a man does the ironing for his personal laundry. These people practically live here,
their children run around with their grandparents chasing after them, they eat here, are
bored here and work here. It was common to see their laundry drying outside the stall. 

An example of one of the many unique pieces they had to offer.

Even a few wedding dresses.

I found an adorable red trench coat but was charged an
exorbitant-what I like to call-skin tax (happens a lot), so we left and I found a
 green hooded jacket instead (pictured below). It was great having K along
for the adventure, she not only brings many laughs, but has been studying the
language for several years.

Those who know me know that I can't be in a country with out finding at least
one local thrift store, if not the only one in Kunming. Here is a cozy sweater I
rescued from an over packed stall. This cost $6.50.

Here is my jacket, big enough to fit over the sweater, so it's good
for layering. It also has a warm insert that can be taken out for
warmer weather. This cost $10.00.

BTW: (A) If you were wondering, here is where I have been blogging until
we move into the new apartment. Very sun-shiney and cozy.
(B) You can click any of the pictures to see them in their original size.
 (C) If you want to receive my blog directly sent to your email
you can subscribe by entering your email at the top of this page.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment